Friday, December 21, 2007

The Bashing of the Dunes

Well it's the last day in Dubai and a group of us are going dune bashing. This involves wandering through the desert in a four wheel vehicle and driving up and down and around sand dunes.



Every once and a while we stop to take some scenic photos. It's really quite lovely in the desert and I'm still not sure why Dubai wants to hide the fact that it has this really interesting facet to it but hey what do I know.



Once we've driven around and slipped and bumped and jumped in the four wheel they take us to a compound where we will see a belly dancing show. There are various little kiosks set up where you can smoke Sheesha, get henna painted, buy souvenirs, get dressed up in an abaya and dishdash for photos and a bar where they apparently won't cut you off ever. I'm assuming this policy based on the group of college boys who got incredibly drunk and got up and danced with the belly dancer. It was pretty funny.



The belly dancer was not very good. I've had a number of friends take this style of dance and I've seen about a million recitals and this gal wouldn't even have been in the advanced class but she was trying so I give her props for that!



The whole experience was fun and I'm glad I got the chance to do it and to finally see some desert. I mean, it only took two trips to Dubai to see it!



Crazy Dubai

No comments: