Sunday, November 25, 2007

Time, Time ... what is Time?

So we've finished our official training sessions and learned, once again, that time has no meaning in Dubai.

The first session was due to start at noon. At 12:30pm we we're still missing a good number of people. During the session they arrived in dribs and drabs and as per usual - no apologies. Lindy decided this would be a good time to give the you can be late once - the second time will be your last shift at DIFF speech. You would think that this would inspire them to be on time for the training on day two. Wouldn't you?

Well if you did you'd be a giant moron because, of course, the majority of the kids were late. Not 5 minutes but 1/2 hour to and hour late. Despite the lateness the training sessions seemed to go well and I think we have a stellar group of folks working for us.

In pure, Human Capital (HC) fashion we were given survey sheets for the kids to fill out to tell HC how the training was. They were asked to rate us and give criticism/comments and then hand the sheets - with their names on them - back to us. Yeah, they're probably gonna get an accurate account of what the kids though with that system. Jeez.

Today we're just getting little things done. I went and gave a briefing to the Call Centre for Tecom which is the government entity that oversees DIFF. The most exciting part about this is that I got to go back to the Sparkly Building. It's like a big concrete and marble Tickle Me Elmo. You can't walk into this building and be surrounded by the glittery, sparkly goodness and not smile a little. I tried to take a picture of the floor but it didn't turn out. Maybe when the Muffin Man comes to Dubai I will ask him to try and capture it. So awesome!

Speaking of "Awesome" I'm begging each and every one of you to whack me across the nose with a rolled up newspaper every time I say this word. I obviously say it waaaay too much. Praveen and Aldrich, two of the lovely folks I work with here giggle every time I say it and then imitate me. Not that I want to kill their joy but come on!

Tomorrow is the big press conference for DIFF. It's at the crazy hotel we stayed at in 2004. I'm hoping I won't have PTS flashbacks during it. Nobody likes having a howling maniac in the background when they're trying to announce their films.

I'm looking forward to heading home. I really miss everyone. Give yourselves a big hug from me. No really. DO IT!

Dubai Temp: 34C Time: 4:54pm

No comments: